Ormond Hall has a proud heritage as one of Melbourne ’s premier entertainment venues. Built in 1891, this beautiful hall was originally established as a music hall for the blind, run by the Royal Victorian Institute for the Blind (RVIB).
In 1922 the hall was completely remodelled; a new dance floor was installed, and the interior was redecorated in the popular Art Deco style of the day. With its bold new look, Ormond Hall began operation as a dance hall.
During the Second World War, the hall was occupied by the RAAF, and its late-closing bar proved very popular amongst members. Ormond Hall was returned to the RVIB in 1947, and much to the excitement of the community, balls and dances were once again held.
In the late sixties, the “famous Ormond Hall” experienced a surge in popularity when it became home to one of Melbourne ’s most popular dance clubs, Opus. Opus was the place to be for the “teen and twenties” set, and provided patrons with live music, Opus dancers, and a coffee lounge with television screens every Saturday and Sunday night.
In 1991 Ormond Hall celebrated its centenary with two huge “Back to Ormond Hall” balls. The Royal Victorian Institute for the Blind also used to hold its grand RVIB Ball at Ormond Hall.